We had a enjoyable day in the Austrian Alps. Nice time to catch up with our friends. Plenty food and plenty drinks. The Land Cruiser had his day off and is still covered in fresh snow.
Great time in the Elk Bar
Plenty of local spirits
A display of traditional costumes
The underbody of my land Cruiser has definitely seen better days and I’m not surprised to see the fixing point rot away. In some other Country’s the Land Cruiser 100 is equipped with a auxiliary tank and the same fixing points are used. The bolt holes are unusable which ment I had to cut the rotten material away.
This must be the cheapest available weld-on nut what Toyota’s money could buy. I’m not surprised the thread was not existent.
To make a strong connection I used a mild steel box section which I have welded a nut inside and bolted on to the rear underfloor panel reinforcement. This should last a long time.
Everything is painted with chassis Lack, connected and bolted up. Before fitting the tank I sprayed on some underbody and cavity wax.
Next step is fitting the tank.
I’m still waiting for the tank protector to arrive. I have now plenty time to continue on the fuel tank. I removed all hoses and covers and have taken the sender unit out. I would aspect much more dirt on the strainer. Even the internal of the tank was pretty clean.
On the next step I have spent a number of hours to clean the outside of the tank from rust. Then I sprayed a couple of layers Dinitrol RC900 rust converter on.
I had a good opportunity to install the balance pipe which is required for the auxiliary Front runner tank which I planned to install very soon. Also I have installed all the fittings for the tank and a new strainer for the pick-up pipe.
After a couple of days to let the rust converter work in to the metal I have painted the outside of the tank with chassis lack a couple of times.
At last I have sprayed Dinitrol 3125 HS over the paint which is a corrosion prevention fluid with has an excellent film building properties on open surfaces and leaves a brown,waxy,water repellent film. This, I hope, prevent any further corrosion.
Now I have removed my fuel tank and this gives me the opportunity to clean the rust of the frame and under body. The frame looks pretty bad where the tank sits but surprisingly the underbody is in a very good condition. I used a grinder with a wire wheel to get the worsted off and the rest I have sprayed with Dinitrol RC900 which is convenient as it comes in an aerosol can which converts rust into a stable, black protective polymeric coating and can the painted over.
The other day when I had my head under the LC I noticed the left hand spring was broken. Last year I installed new Pedders shock absorbers but never bothered to change the springs as well. The Pedders shocks are heavy duty but I’m not sure if this had anything to do with the broken spring. It seems to me not so long ago when I have installed the Old Man Emu springs but after I have checked the mileage on it, I discovered it was more then 50 000 miles. So they have not performed as badly as the LC is very often heavy laden and used offroad a lot.
It did not took very long for a new set of Pedders (7845) extra heavy duty springs to arrive and with a pair of Urethane 20mm Coil Spring Insulator which fit perfectly to it.
The Pedders springs are slightly higher than the OME’s and definitely stiffer but the diameter of the coil is still the same.
It took a bit an effort to install the new springs as they not compress very well but eventually I have succeeded. Pedders claim this springs are suited for constantly loaded vehicles but I plan to install an auxiliary tank in the near future, this is not an issue for me as Io will have plenty extra weight on the rear axle.
I hope the pedders coil springs perform so well as the OME’s. Only time will tell.
I had a lot on my plate today but I’m still managed to complete the rebuild of the left front brake. The calliper was still in a good condition, all 4 pistons moved freely and all what it needed was a leak of paint.
The drive shaft shows slight signs of wear but still in acceptable state. I will keep an eye on it.
Voilà, the left hand side is completed.
I will replace the Old Men Emu shocks with the Australian build Pedders TrackRyder Foam cell 9501 for the front and 9502 for the rear. I’m never used them before and I’m locking forward to receive the shocks tomorrow. I hope they are so good as I have in my mind.
Now, something new for me was to try removing locking wheel nuts from my Land cruiser. I have not lost the key nut, a pin broke of when I was trying to remove the front wheels. I’m religiously torquing the wheel nuts to there specific setting but still could get them not off. I have changed my locking nuts about 2 years ago as the old ones were looking a bit worn and I thought I don’t really want to come into a situation where I will not be able to get them off. Luckily this happen now, despite haven fairly new ones, at home. I don’t want to think what would be happen if I travelled somewhere.
I purchased a set of wheel nuts remover. The 7mm was just right. I had to remove the rotating protector shroud first with the help of a flat screw driver and a Hammer ( very easy).
i need to tap the removal tool slightly on and as the thread is left going it screws tightly on and with the help of a extension bar I could get it off.
The bigger problem was to get the old nut of the tool. Some folks told me to put it in a vice and screw it off.
Great idea and easy said, I have managed to destroy my bench vice with trying to remove the tool. Could you believe that!
With help of a welding torch and my wood working vice I managed to remove the tool from the locking wheel nut. The second one was no problem at all.
New wheel nut’s on, but definitely not a locking nut. They have gone to scrap now. I want use any of them anymore. You just asking for problems when travelling a lot and far from home.