Over time, I noticed the the windscreen wipers were starting to become out of alignment; obviously this is through the age of the car (and possibly the British weather!)
Luckily I was able to purchase the whole assembly for a decent price, and it was not very difficult to remove the old one.
Whilst the assembly was removed, this gave me a good opportunity to thoroughly clean it out.
Only four bolts was needed to remove the wiper motor, and to connect it to the new assembly was no problem.
We had a enjoyable day in the Austrian Alps. Nice time to catch up with our friends. Plenty food and plenty drinks. The Land Cruiser had his day off and is still covered in fresh snow.
Great time in the Elk Bar
Plenty of local spirits
A display of traditional costumes
Arriving in the Alps on our annual vacation, we are very fortunate with fresh snow. this has given us the opportunity to test the Nokian Hakkapeliitta in their full potential.
We had no snow chains with us, despite it being mandatory on the roads with which we have driven through. Even driving down the mountains we had no issues.
We are very happy with the tyres and of course with the Land Cruiser.
We have definitely made the right choice with the brand of winter tyre used.
Finally I have finished the auxiliary tank. Frontrunner claim it takes 6 hours to complete the task, it has taken longer then i thought. Then again my extra paint jobs and the preparation took a lot of time. It was fairly easy to lift the tank in to the prepared brackets and bolting it up. It was also easy to install the spare wheel carrier it was a very tight fit needless to say.
I had great difficulty to fit the supplied hose for the connection between the aux. tank and the main tank. The hose is only 4 inches long and needed to be connected to the original filler pipe. As the connection is to close to the crossmember No. 7, I could not get a proper seal on it and I ended up using my old rubber tank filler hose instead. The hose clamp – circled – was a nightmare to tighten. Eventually I got this right too. I hate to think that one day I will have to replace the hose.
Filler pipe from auxiliary tank to main tank. The small pipe is the vent pipe from main tank which is now connected near to the filler cap.
Main tank with new protector. It is much easier to remove the exhaust to fit the tank in place. I could save myself a lot of time if I had removed it before hand.
Some modification needed on the tank inlet pipe for the extra breather hoses.
The spare wheel is slightly lower to the ground.
The underbody of my land Cruiser has definitely seen better days and I’m not surprised to see the fixing point rot away. In some other Country’s the Land Cruiser 100 is equipped with a auxiliary tank and the same fixing points are used. The bolt holes are unusable which ment I had to cut the rotten material away.
This must be the cheapest available weld-on nut what Toyota’s money could buy. I’m not surprised the thread was not existent.
To make a strong connection I used a mild steel box section which I have welded a nut inside and bolted on to the rear underfloor panel reinforcement. This should last a long time.
Everything is painted with chassis Lack, connected and bolted up. Before fitting the tank I sprayed on some underbody and cavity wax.
Next step is fitting the tank.
Finally, I have completed the refurbishment of the main fuel tank and managed to fit the tank back in place. It took me far longer as I have anticipated. Now I want to fit the auxiliary tank from Frontrunner which are made in South Africa. Frontrunner claims the tank hold 62 litres which is more than sufficient for my purpose.
The tank is much smaller than the Long Ranger which is made in Australia and hold up to 182 litres. The advantage of the smaller tank is; it is much cheaper and I can place my spare wheel back under the LC as the original layout was.
The tank came with all the fittings and painted. The paint job is probably good enough for South African roads but definitely not for Europe with all the rain and road salt in the winter.
I rough sanded the surface, then I slapped a couple of coats zinc primer on and after ample trying time a generously amount of black chassis paint.
Finally, I covered the surface with DINITROL 3125 HS wax which can be used for surfaces and cavities. This should prolong the life of the tank significantly.
Now I have removed my fuel tank and this gives me the opportunity to clean the rust of the frame and under body. The frame looks pretty bad where the tank sits but surprisingly the underbody is in a very good condition. I used a grinder with a wire wheel to get the worsted off and the rest I have sprayed with Dinitrol RC900 which is convenient as it comes in an aerosol can which converts rust into a stable, black protective polymeric coating and can the painted over.