We left Perpignan and travelled North-east to the Camargue. It is only a 2 hours drive and arrived in Aigues-Mortes which is between Montpelier and Arles in the region of Languedoc-Roussillon.
Camargue is very well known for their white wild horses and of course an opportunity for Diane to ride one of the horses. She had an enjoyable time despite the high air temperature.
We also had the chance to watch the local “Cowboys” round up the bulls, which was very interesting the way they work.
We found a nice place to stop at Ste-Marie-Plage, just north of Perpignan with a lovely and clean sand beach. Also the camp side was great and first class. We had direct access to the beach and it took us only a minutes walk. Weather could be not better.
Very clean beach
We had the swimming pool for our self. Hardly any people there.
Camp side between the trees and very quiet.
Over time, I noticed the the windscreen wipers were starting to become out of alignment; obviously this is through the age of the car (and possibly the British weather!)
Luckily I was able to purchase the whole assembly for a decent price, and it was not very difficult to remove the old one.
Whilst the assembly was removed, this gave me a good opportunity to thoroughly clean it out.
Only four bolts was needed to remove the wiper motor, and to connect it to the new assembly was no problem.
I’m still waiting for the tank protector to arrive. I have now plenty time to continue on the fuel tank. I removed all hoses and covers and have taken the sender unit out. I would aspect much more dirt on the strainer. Even the internal of the tank was pretty clean.
On the next step I have spent a number of hours to clean the outside of the tank from rust. Then I sprayed a couple of layers Dinitrol RC900 rust converter on.
I had a good opportunity to install the balance pipe which is required for the auxiliary Front runner tank which I planned to install very soon. Also I have installed all the fittings for the tank and a new strainer for the pick-up pipe.
After a couple of days to let the rust converter work in to the metal I have painted the outside of the tank with chassis lack a couple of times.
At last I have sprayed Dinitrol 3125 HS over the paint which is a corrosion prevention fluid with has an excellent film building properties on open surfaces and leaves a brown,waxy,water repellent film. This, I hope, prevent any further corrosion.
Now I have removed my fuel tank and this gives me the opportunity to clean the rust of the frame and under body. The frame looks pretty bad where the tank sits but surprisingly the underbody is in a very good condition. I used a grinder with a wire wheel to get the worsted off and the rest I have sprayed with Dinitrol RC900, which is very convenient as it comes in an aerosol can, it converts rust into a stable, black protective polymeric coating and can the painted over. Now I leave it to dry thoroughly.
The other day when I had my head under the LC I noticed the left hand spring was broken. Last year I installed new Pedders shock absorbers but never bothered to change the springs as well. The Pedders shocks are heavy duty but I’m not sure if this had anything to do with the broken spring. It seems to me not so long ago when I have installed the Old Man Emu springs but after I have checked the mileage on it, I discovered it was more then 50 000 miles. So they have not performed as badly as the LC is very often heavy laden and used offroad a lot.
It did not took very long for a new set of Pedders (7845) extra heavy duty springs to arrive and with a pair of Urethane 20mm Coil Spring Insulator which fit perfectly to it.
The Pedders springs are slightly higher than the OME’s and definitely stiffer but the diameter of the coil is still the same.
It took a bit an effort to install the new springs as they not compress very well but eventually I have succeeded. Pedders claim this springs are suited for constantly loaded vehicles but I plan to install an auxiliary tank in the near future, this is not an issue for me as Io will have plenty extra weight on the rear axle.
I hope the pedders coil springs perform so well as the OME’s. Only time will tell.
On my way home, suddenly the ABS and brake light came on. I checked the LC over but could not find any fault. Luckily it was not very far to go and I arrived safely at home.
It could only be the booster pump motor which failed, as I checked if the power was still on the connectors.
Access is very poor and to get the booster motor out, the hydraulic brake booster assembly had to be removed. Next question was where to get a replacement on a Friday afternoon as I have planned to drive the LC on Monday to the European Continent on holiday.
I phoned my local Toyota dealer and I’m told they could get the part for Saturday morning. I nearly dropped to the floor when they told me it will cost over £2000 for the motor and the accumulator. I’m sure I could get it cheaper elsewhere but not in this short time span.
I had no other choice and face the bill as this would be the only chance to continue with my holiday plans and using the Land Cruiser.
This is the whole assembly – hydraulic brake booster, booster pump motor and accumulator. I had to remove the panel and heater duct under the steering wheel to get access to the 4 bolts which connect the brake pedal to the assembly. Once everything is out it is fairly easy to disconnect the pump from the unit.
It is a simple way to check if the pump is broken. Connect the 2 terminals to a battery and the pump should work. This one did not.
This is the expensive new pump with the accumulator connected. Makes you wonder why it is so expensive.
When everything is installed, not much can be seen. Definitely not the work which is involved to get this part out. At least I have the LC back on the road again.